Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Project Roots

Hmmm this could well be the saddest thing I've done in a long time.

And that's coming from a person who spends a lot of time doing things that a lot of people would call sad.

I'm a web designer for a start. I know what the difference between HTML and XHTML is - not only that, but I also care about how it should be structured. Don't get me started on CSS.

I've got my blog at www.escapecrate.co.uk... but my day job is in local government.

Did I mention the Xbox 360 yet?

You get the picture.

The Idea

I'm sure you'll remember football stickers?Back in the day it was all about Panini and their "Football 8x" albums. They were awesome, you had one, all your friends had one, and you all collected the stickers like fevered worker bees.

Then you'd meet up at lunch time in the yard to purvey each others swaps piles.

"Got, Got, Got, Got, Need, Need, errrrr Need, Neeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Ohhh I'll give you these three Peter Reids for your Liverpool Badge... Guuuoooooooooon, pleeeassssse... get lost then you tight git..."

Ah the memories.

There was always one kid who was obviously a bit spoiled. He'd always have a pile of swaps as thick as his head. Of course he wouldn't actually swap anything, he just liked to Billy Big Balls it around school.

Cock.

A Very Mature Project

Well I'm 27 now, I earn more than 50p a week, and we've established that I am more than a little sad...

I can be that little bastard!

The idea came to me during the World Cup when the great footballing blog Who Ate All the Bratwurst started their Panini Mondays. Every Monday they would open 3 packets of the Panini's World Cup stickers and relay their wondrous contents for our pleasure.

It brought back loads of memories... then I completely forgot about it.

Then Bratwurst became Pies and earlier this year they brought us Sticker Sundays! The same thing but with Merlin's Premier League stickers. Great stuff.

So I put the idea at the back of my mind, where it promptly took root.

"Wouldn't it make an interesting blog project?" I thought.

"I always wanted to walk into a shop and buy a whole box of stickers..." I reminisced.

"Hmmm I must look on Ebay some time to see if you can buy stickers..." I mused.

"Oh look, whole boxes of the buggers going for like £13..." I muttered to myself...

"Oooops I seem to have just won 65 packs..." I hysterically laughed... in my head...

Anyway...

Yeah, so I've got 65 packs of the Merlin Premier League 07 collection winging their way to me.

That's a potential 390 stickers.

There are 522 spaces in the album.

There will be more sticker buying, this is where you will be able to follow my progress.

I am aiming to do it Dave Gorman style. There will be stats. There will be graphs.

Hopefully by the end of the project I will have my first ever complete album, and a stack of swaps thick enough to make even the most annoying and spoilt kid weep.

Mwuhahahahahahahaha.

Etc!

No comments: